OneWorld Sustainable Investments (OW) is an Africa-based sustainable development-consulting organisation focused on adaptive development and resilience building within the context of changing climate and resource constraints (see www.oneworldgroup.co.za).
Working primarily in Africa, and to a lesser extent, Asia, our programmatic areas of focus include: i) Water and energy security: Improving political, environmental and human capacity to adjust to a changing climate; ii) Climate Smart Finance: Understanding and developing strategic financial insights to meet regional, national and local adaptation and mitigation needs; and, iii) Inclusive Green Growth: Mobilising green economies through resource management and low carbon solutions.
Our clients and beneficiaries include donors and International Cooperation Partners, African and Asian governments, transboundary institutions such as River Basin Organisations, continental and regional political, economic and trade communities and climate negotiation blocs in developing countries, as well as the private sector. We work at a science-policy-development interface and provide technical and policy advisory services to our clients and beneficiaries.
A Senior Consultant works with the OneWolrd team providing Technical and Policy Advisor to OneWorld’s clients, funders and beneficiaries. This means providing ongoing scientific and technical, institutional development and capacity building, and global analysis on the key areas of focus in OneWorld’s work and translating this into regional and country needs-based strategies, policies and action plans. The Consultant will additionally be required to integrate, where appropriate, related activities and analyses with other areas of OneWorld’s programmatic work.
Reporting and Management Structure
The Senior Consultant reports to the CEO/Head Advisory Services and will be responsible for leading a small team of researchers and junior technical advisors.
Working with a team and taking leadership roles on OneWorld projects as appropriate/needed. This includes interrogating existing research, identifying research gaps and leading applied research projects, providing the science policy interface, working with multi-disciplinary teams, writing reports, research briefs and papers, and policy briefs.
The Senior Consultant will be required to:
The following qualifications and skills set requirements apply:
A Masters-plus qualification in Development Studies/Economics or Philosophy, Environmental Science, Sustainable Development or related Social Sciences.
Required skills and experience include:
Key behavioural requirements include:
To apply, please send a CV that responds directly to the requirements set out in this advert, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
OneWorld is a Cape Town-based sustainable development consulting organisation focused on adaptive development within the context of a changing climate and resource constraints. We work at a science-policy-development interface with a view to building resilience to the challenge of climate change in the African region and beyond.
We are looking for a Research Intern to join the OneWorld team. The intern will be expected to provide research and administrative support to existing project work as well as assisting with Business Development through tender tracking and contributing to the development of proposals and reports. As an intern, you can expect to gain valuable insight on the project lifecycle, from inception right through to completion. You will also advance your knowledge and experience in project-based development work in the climate change arena.
• Recent graduates or post-graduate students in the research phase of their degree.
• South African nationals, permanent residence holders and/or foreign nationals with a preexisting right to work. Foreign nationals without a valid work or residency permit will not be considered.
• Fluency in English is essential and proficiency in any other of South Africa’s official languages is an advantage.
Required Competencies and Attributes:
• Knowledge of research methodologies, analysis and report-writing
• Proficiency in the Microsoft Office package
• Excellent typing, writing and communication skills
• The ability to process information quickly and multi-task on a variety of different project themes
• Team-player with the ability to self-start and work independently with minimal supervision
• Provide support on research and investigation with regard to OneWorld’s proposals and projects.
• Translate proposal and contract requirements into project references
• Reformatting of CVs and project references • Obtaining and documenting contact lists
• Provide support on research and investigation with regard to OneWorld’s projects.
• Develop and implement effective research support and investigation to achieve proposal / project goals.
• Conduct desktop and investigative work.
• Monitor, capture and organise information and data into databases to ensure that strategic and valuable information is easily available.
• Analyses information and data, produces briefing papers and reports to support project goals.
• Keeps abreast of useful information, resources, tools, technical and technological development in related fields to ensure that research capacity is up to date.
• Provides ongoing tracking of trends and insights on OneWorld’s Climate resilience programmatic focus areas; contributes to the development of thought pieces.
If you are interested, please submit a full Curriculum Vitae (CV) to email@example.com