This project is funded through the Green Climate Fund’s Readiness and Preparatory Support Programme which is designed to support countries’ engagement with the GCF, including building a pipeline of climate change projects and enhance country ownership. The Government of Lesotho seeks support to establish appropriate institutional frameworks that will enable the country to benefit from the available GCF direct access financing window. This support will strengthen the ability of the country to participate in different mechanisms directed to facilitate mitigation and adaptation to the effects of climate change and to fulfill its country’s obligations and commitments to the UNFCCC.
OneWorld is coordinating and implementing this readiness project and will provide support to the Government of Lesotho through:
- Climate finance baseline analysis and stakeholder mapping and engagement
- Capacity building for effective engagement with the GCF
- Coordinating domestic institutional arrangements and identifying and implementing programmes/projects and managing funds responsibly.
- Institutional strengthening through developing a system for transparent and accountable management of climate change activities and GCF funds by the identified National Designated Authority (NDA). This will include developing a monitoring and reporting strategy and providing training to the NDA as part of operationalising the monitoring and reporting strategy.
- Developing an awareness programme and awareness materials on climate change and the role of the GCF as a funding mechanism
- Developing a country programme that identifies and prioritises a pipeline of climate change programmes and projects for further GCF funding. OneWorld will also produce a country programme action plan and Concept notes identified from the country programme.